google analytics

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Leonard Cohen , I Can't Make the Hills,Prologue ,Book of Longing




I can't make the hills 
The system is shot 
I'm living on pills 
For which I thank G-d
I followed the course
From chaos to art 
Desire the horse 
Depression the cart 
I sailed like a swan 
I sank like a rock 
But time is long gone 
Past my laughing stock 
My page was too white 
My ink was too thin 
The day wouldn't write 
What the night pencilled in 
My animal howls 
My angel's upset 
But I'm not allowed 
A trace of regret 
For someone will use 
What I couldn't be 
My heart will be hers 
Impersonally 
She'll step on the path 
She'll see what I mean 
My will cut in half 
And freedom between 
For less than a second 
Our lives will collide 
The endless suspended 
The door open wide 
Then she will be born 
To someone like you 
What no one has done 
She'll continue to do 
I know she is coming 
I know she will look 
And that is the longing 
And this is the book

No comments: